When I got to work one Friday a colleague had kindly placed a bag of soft cutting on my desk. Without an option, I was given a quick 5 minutes lesson on how to propagate. This is what I did and it worked like a dream. Plants propagated on the 6th Feb 2010.
- Cut below the node (ie. where the stem branches) and remove some of the branches above it. The cutting should be slanted to maximise root growth.
- If the leaves are large, cut them in half to conserve energy for the task of regrowth (rather than photosynthesizing).
- Dip the tips into some root hormone to stimulate growth. I used Yates Clonex rooting hormone gel. See picture below.
- When planting place some sand at the bottom to improves drainage. Hopefully this reduces the likelihood of root rot.
- Lightly water in.
Tip: Try using cutting where the stem is still bendable / soft as the likelihood of this striking is higher. Having said this there is no harm in trying it all to ensure no wastage 🙂
I was told that a strike rate of 70-80% is good. Its been 1 week and so far all cuttings except for 1 looks good. I’ll have to update you later on how I go. It was only this weekend that I discovered the name of the plant I was trying to propagate is called “Plectranthus Nico”. For a few days I thought they looked like some Vietnamese herbs on steroid 🙂 Below is a picture of the mature plant.