Why coconut oil?
As coconut oil is a staple for Paleo people this is the first in a series of post on this topic. The health benefits of coconut oil are many. This includes:
- Aids digestion. If you suffer from poor digestion or tummy bloating try adding coconut oil to your diet. Benefits include those with irritable bowel syndrome and chron’s disease. The fatty acids in the coconut oil contain anti microbial properties, which have a soothing affect on bacteria, candida, or parasites that cause poor digestion.
- Stimulate metabolism
- Weight loss. Excellent for weight loss and satisfies hunger sooner and longer than other foods. So you tend to eat less during the day.
- Treats skin conditions (eg. Eczema) and slows fine lines. The Lauric acid in the coconut fights off fungal infections. Apply coconut oil directly to your skin
- Increases Immunity
- Assists to maintain good cholesterol ratio. It is an established fact that the cholesterol ratio is a far more accurate indicator of heart disease risk than total cholesterol. Total cholesterol could be misleading as it lumps together both LDL (bad) cholesterol and HDL (good) cholesterol with no indication of how much is good and bad. You can have high total cholesterol, but if a large percentage of it is made of up HDL, then your risk is low. Likewise with low total cholesterol, if a large part of it is LDL, your risk could still be high – the lower the cholesterol ratio, the better. 5.0mg/dl is considered average risk and 3.2mg/dl or less is considered optimal with lowest heart disease risk.
- Relief from kidney problems, high blood pressure, diabetes, cancer, dental care and bone strength.
- Cooks at high temperatures. Because coconut oil is a medium-chain saturated fatty acid, it gives it a higher smoking temperature than most polyunsaturated or monounsaturated oils. Olive oil will oxidise at high temperatures, creating free radicals.
For more information on the benefits of coconut oil read I recommend reading “The coconut oil miracle” by Bruce Fife.
Alternatively visit his website http://www.coconutresearchcenter.org/
Coconut oil for Alzheimer
Alzheimer’s Disease: What If There Was a Cure? ” by Dr Mary T Newport
“The book Stop Alzheimer’s Now! by Dr. Bruce Fife is a must read for everyone concerned with Alzheimer’s disease. After a comprehensive review of the factors contributing to the actual Alzheimer’s epidemic, the author explains how diet modifications and the addition of coconut oil can drastically change the course of the disease.” – Edmond Devroey, MD, The Longevity Institute
Dr Mary T.Newport M.D. – Dr Newport has provided care to newborns in Florida since 1983 and is currently the founding director of the newborn intensive care unit at Spring Hill Regional Hospital
When Dr. Mary T. Newport’s beloved husband, Steve, first showed signs of Alzheimer’s disease she began avidly researching ways to keep him functional for as long as possible. When she gave Steve about 2 tablespoons of coconut oil (a source of these fats) at breakfast before a memory test that he had previously failed, Steve miraculously passed the test. Since then, Steve continues to maintain improvement while taking daily doses of coconut oil and MCT (medium-chain triglyceride) oil with meals.
Coconut oil in the media
- Miranda Kerr’s secret. http://today.ninemsn.com.au/healthandbeauty/8290418/miranda-kerrs-secret
- A Current Affair gets expert advice on what coconut oil could do to improve your health. http://aca.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=8232647
- Coconut on Dr OZ
In part 2 we will cover what to look for when buying coconut oil.
I’ll leave you with this interesting graphic from http://balancedbites.com/