Just tried making my first Paleo protein balls using a popular recipe from 180 nutrition. It’s so simple to make and only takes only 10 minutes. No baking required. Only setting in the fridge.
1. Begin by first soaking your coconut oil and almond butter in the warm bath. Otherwise in solid form it would be hard to mix.
2. My protein balls were a little hard to bind even after adding more coconut oil so in retrospect I would add a little more almond butter next time. This time I only added 1 tablespoon.
3. Almond spread/paste is not the same thing as Almond butter. Almond butter is healthier made from 100% almonds and soaked in the almond oil. Almond spread version is generally more like a confection with lots of added sugar. It is also generally drier with a paste consistency.
- 4 x 50g scoops of 180 protein supplement.
- 1 tablespoons of carob powder
- Small handful of diced prunes (You can really use anything you fancy. Dates, prunes, canberries etc.)
- Approximately 1/2 cup of coconut oil
- 1-2 dessert spoons of 100% almond butter
- Takes 5 minutes to prepare
Source: 180 nutrition