The spirit of Christmas

This year I decided to get into the spirit of Christmas. I must say going shopping for a Christmas tree and decorating the place makes a difference in whether you feel it’s Christmas or not. Last year Christmas came and went and it was like, was that it? Gosh time flies. So if you are undecided on whether to bother, come on… a little effort does make it more fun. You don’t need children to have to bother!!!

Decorating a tree has the same principles as decorating your room. The tips are:

  1. Think of the colour scheme of your room. Use colours that compliment your room (eg. I deliberately used orange on my tree to resonate the colour of my cushion).
  2. Apply the 80:20 rule. 80% neutral and 20% colour. Neutrals being white, silver, clear.  This not only makes the colour stand out more but makes it easy to change colour in the future.
  3. Try to select objects that are different in shape and texture (eg. I used metal acorn, word acorn, crystal drops, silver parsley, clear balls, wire balls, butterfly etc).
  4. Repeat your objects. Decide on a few favorite and stick to those. Getting 1 object of everything becomes a bit like “everything”. You see nothing.
  5. Mix cheap and expensive so it doesn’t look entirely tacky (eg. 70% of my decorations came from the Christmas Warehouse in Alexandria, while the other 30% came from DJ).
  6. Most importantly of all have fun with the process. Putting up the tree should not be a chore. Get your partner, sister etc. Put on some music, have a glass of wine handy and viola….before you know it the tree is up.

Below are some pics.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

Advertisements

2 thoughts on “The spirit of Christmas

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s