I decided a long time ago I did not want table and chairs as this is too formal. I wanted a place where I could read, have a coffee/beer and some social time with friends/family. For around a year I’ve been into rattan style outdoor lounge chairs. My boyfriend finally convinced me that these were not worthwhile as they were extremely expensive (well at least the ones I liked). And with the harsh sunlight, will not last. This narrowed the product search to wooden chairs. One day, flicking through the 101 magazines I read, I saw an advert of an adirondack chair from the Big W, part of the Jamie Durie range . A few more google search and this is what I discovered.
“An Adirondack chair or Muskoka chair is a type of chair favored in rural, outdoor settings. The precursor to today’s Adirondack chair was designed by Thomas Lee in 1903. He was on vacation in Westport, NY, in the heart of the Adirondack Mountains, and needed outdoor chairs for his summer home. He tested the first designs on his family. The name Muskoka was adopted from the municipality of Muskoka,Ontario, a cottage country area north of Toronto.
The original Adirondack chair was made with eleven pieces of wood, cut from a single board. It had a straight back and seat, which were set at a slant to sit better on the steep mountain inclines of the area. It also featured wide armrests, which became a hallmark of the Adirondack chair”. – Source Wikipedia
Places where you can buy adirondack chairs include:
- Big W Jamie Durie range – cheapest you can get however often out of stock. I have yet to see one in real life.
- The Porch – Very popular due to price range. Based in Melbourne.
- Connoisseur chairs – A NZ based website that is always advertised in magazines.
- Adirondack Chairs Australia – The most expensive option based in Berry.
Of course,my boyfriend would say. I choose the most expensive option, number 4. It was not because it was the most expensive. Reasons are:
- Wood quality looked better from as much as you can gauge from the description and pictures.
- Option 4 had an version that was less inclined, making it more suitable for the elderly or shorter people.
- The famous wide arms for your beverages is proportional and does not look as awkward as the ones from “The porch”.
- Option 4 can be complemented with cushions and covers.
- The stool can be stored underneath the chairs. Others did not advertise this even they could.
Verdict? I cannot say much on options 1 to 3 as I only saw what I saw on the internet. As for option 4, I have received them and am very happy with the wood quality and shape for comfort. The fact that the chairs are not as inclined as your standard adirondack chairs is definitely a bonus. The service was great (with a minor glitch). I ordered on Friday and received the products on Monday. Unfortunately my covers were not sent. They said it was placed in the wrong order. So some lucky dude has received free chair covers. Oh well, will have to wait for them to re-post in the NY. Cushions are definitely worthwhile and provides that extra comfort. Conclusion? If you can extend your budget it is worthwhile to spend a little more for something that is built to last longer.
Hint: In deciding what outdoor settings to get first decide on the use of the space. Do you want to have breakfast or dinner outside? How much space to you have? Does the area have any shade and would the furniture?